Boy, 6, killed in Turure crash; relatives fight for their lives

A Tobago family was thrown into mourning yesterday after an early morning accident claimed the life of a six-year-old boy.

Police said Daniel Black died on his way to hospital after his family’s rental car collided with another car along the Valencia stretch, near Turure. The boy’s parents, father Dean Black, 55, mother Hema, 45, and four-year-old brother Levi were fighting for their lives in the Intensive Care Unit at the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex and Sangre Grande Hospital respectively up to last night.

The occupant of the other car, Ajay Gajadhar, 22, suffered a broken leg.

Police said the Blacks, of Guy’s Cottage, Tobago, were coming from a wedding in a rented silver Tiida around 1.50 am when the accident happened. Dean Black, a safety specialist, was driving west along the stretch when his car collided head-on with a Hyundai coming west driven by Gajadhar, of Arouca.

The occupants of both vehicles were pinned inside them. Acting Fire Service Officer Oliviere and his team from Sangre Grande station had to use “jaws of life to remove the injured passengers before they were taken to the Sangre Grande Hospital by EHS ambulances.

Young Daniel was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital by doctors, while his brother was treated and rushed to the EWMSC, where he remained in critical condition yesterday. The boys’ parents suffered broken legs and injuries to their chests and other parts of their bodies. They too underwent emergency surgeries and were warded in critical condition at the Sangre Grande Hospital yesterday, as was Gajadhar, who also underwent surgery there.

Speaking to the T&T Guardian yesterday, Hema’s father, Poggie Adhar, said they had come to Trinidad for her niece’s wedding at the Guaico Government School Auditorium earlier on Saturday.

“We were all enjoying ourselves at the reception, having fun with each other, making jokes and recalling our wedding, which were all held at our parents’ home. We then wished each other safe journey home and left for our destination,he said.

“I arrived at my Sangre Chiquito home and around 1 pm. I was awakened by my phone, my son-in-law telling me Blacks and they got in an accident.”

He said the Blacks were heading to Diego Martin, where they were staying while in Trinidad. They were scheduled to return to Tobago yesterday.

He said the other family members drove to the Sangre Grande Hospital but by the time they got there his grandson was already dead.

“I could not believe that just about an hour ago we were all happy and this happiness turned to sorrow, I can’t believe this,” he said as tears flowed from his eyes.

“We pray that nothing worse will develop as both parents loved their children and wherever they go they will take their children.”

An autopsy is expected to be performed on Daniel at the Forensic Sciences Centre, St James, today.

Cpl Hanooman of the Sangre Grande Police Station is continuing investigation.

Source: (Ralph Banwarie)

Favourite count: 
Favourite count ids: