Caller threatens Griffith: "I will behead you, kill your wife"

Com­mis­sion­er of Po­lice Gary Grif­fith’s wife, Nicole Dy­er-Grif­fith, says she is not one bit fear­ful of death threats is­sued against her ear­ly Wednes­day.

Speak­ing with Guardian Me­dia, Dy­er-Grif­fith added that she "won't waste time talk­ing."

Her com­ment comes as CoP Grif­fith re­ceived two deaths, over the week­end and again just af­ter 1 am Wednes­day, the sec­ond al­so threat­en­ing harm to her.

Grif­fith mean­while told Guardian Me­dia he ex­pects "these des­per­ate threats on a dai­ly ba­sis." How­ev­er, he added that he will con­tin­ue along with the work he has al­ready start­ed in clean­ing up the crim­i­nal el­e­ments in T&T.

"Well...there is a new kid on the block who would not al­low these thugs to bul­ly law-abid­ing cit­i­zens as eas­i­ly as they did be­fore, so these threats are ex­pect­ed,” Grif­fith said.

Ac­cord­ing to a po­lice re­port, at about 1.30 am Wednes­day an anony­mous caller phoned the T&T Po­lice Ser­vice’s Com­mand Cen­tre.

The male caller, whose num­ber was reg­is­tered, re­port­ed­ly said: “I want to sum­mon Gary Grif­fith for defama­tion of char­ac­ter against me to­mor­row in court, or else I will call him and chop off he (ex­ple­tive) moth­er (ex­ple­tive) head. How you like that? And kill he wife Nicole Dy­er... huh moth­er (ex­ple­tive).”

On Sun­day at 8.25 am an E999 op­er­a­tor al­so re­ceived a call from a Bmo­bile num­ber where a male caller said: “We are com­ing to kill Gary Grif­fith.”

The call was then trans­ferred to the E999’s po­lice cor­po­ral on du­ty, where the caller re­peat­ed his threat to kill Grif­fith. The caller then ex­tend­ed his death to the po­lice cor­po­ral who took the call. The cor­po­ral im­me­di­ate­ly in­formed the rel­e­vant se­nior of­fi­cers.

That same day at about 6.30 pm, af­ter trac­ing the num­ber, act­ing In­sp Narace, Sgt Austin and a par­ty of Po­lice and De­fence Force of­fi­cers went to an apart­ment at the Plan­nings along George Street, Port-of-Spain, to ex­e­cute search war­rants. How­ev­er, the two peo­ple of in­ter­est were not there.

Af­ter re­ceiv­ing ad­di­tion­al in­for­ma­tion, the of­fi­cers went to an­oth­er apart­ment on Nel­son Street where they in­ter­viewed a woman, who was said to be the reg­is­tered own­er of the phone which was used to make the threat­en­ing call. She gave the of­fi­cers her cell­phone and gave her num­ber, which was the same one which was reg­is­tered dur­ing the death threat call. Both the woman and her 21-year-old daugh­ter were tak­en in­to the Port-of-Spain CID for fur­ther ques­tion­ing.

In re­sponse to the first threat, Gary said he has no fear as ex­press­ing fear can cause a leader to make in­cor­rect de­ci­sions in a con­flict.

“My train­ing and ex­pe­ri­ence in com­bat did not have a mod­ule to teach you to be fear­ful. I do not know what that feels like,” he said then.

Grif­fith then made a vow to con­tin­ue his mis­sion to make the coun­try safer, not­ing he plans to specif­i­cal­ly fo­cus on the il­le­gal weapon and drug trade, gang ac­tiv­i­ty and white-col­lar crime.

More on this sto­ry as in­for­ma­tion comes to hand

- by Rhondor Dowlat

Favourite count: 
Favourite count ids: