Three days after their home was destroyed in a suspected arson attack, a Tabaquite couple remains fearful that the suspect will return to carry out his threat to kill them and their two children.
Unhappy with the police response, Nera Bajan, 47, lamented, "The police not doing enough to help us at all. I want the police to step in. Please, somebody investigate the suspect, please people, please. This is the last straw...Our lives are next, this is what he said."
Bajan said she will be reaching out to Police Commissioner Gary Griffith, through his number 482-GARY, for help.
Yesterday, Bajan's husband Boland Bajan, 54, broke down in tears as he looked at the shell of their burnt-out home, which took him 20 years to build.
The couple who lived in a bushy area off Mc Carthy Trace, with no pipe-borne water or electricity, was not at home when the fire broke out on Monday.
They had gone to Penal to pick up their two children, ages ten and eight, from school. Boland said he rushed home after receiving a call on his cell phone that someone was trying to steal his monkey.
"All I see is the whole house on fire. The monkey was gone. Somebody break into our home and set it on fire," he said.
The couple claimed last week they went to the Brasso Police Station to report that the suspect, who lives in the area, had threatened to burn down their house and kill them but the police did not take their report.
Nera said suspect had been threatening, harassing and "doing us all kind ah thing" for several years. The family has been spending the night by relatives and returning to the site of their burnt-out house during the day.
Bajan thanked their councillor Henry Awong, who is also the chairman of the Couva/Talparo/Regional Corporation for helping them with two mattresses, a tarpaulin and a hamper.
She said they may also be getting a $15,000 grant to help build their home.
However, Bajan said they still need a lot of help as they lost all their clothes, personal items, and household articles.
The children have been unable to attend school since the fire. Nera, who was shot and chopped several times during an incident last year, does not work but her husband sells the produce from his garden at the market. The two-bedroom concrete house and household articles were valued at over $120,000.
An officer from the Brasso Police Station said the incident was still under investigation and has not been ruled as arson.
Anyone willing to assist the family can contact them at 298-1257 or 309-9220.
- by Sascha Wilson