Jamaican jailed for fraudulent permit appeals sentence

Friday, January 25, 2019 - 10:45

The Ja­maican who was jailed for one year for hav­ing a false dri­ver’s per­mit is ap­peal­ing his sen­tence.

Os­haine George, 25, who has no pre­vi­ous con­vic­tions or pend­ing mat­ters, is ap­peal­ing on the ground that the sen­tence was too se­vere.

Yes­ter­day, at­tor­ney Rick Ram­paras in­formed San Fer­nan­do Se­nior Mag­is­trate Ali­cia Chankar of the ap­peal and made an ap­pli­ca­tion for bail.

The mag­is­trate re­ject­ed his re­quest. George was not in court. Chankar had sen­tenced George on Wednes­day af­ter he plead­ed guilty to ut­ter­ing the forged per­mit.

George claimed the per­mit was is­sued to him by a Li­cens­ing Of­fi­cer two years ago.

He said he met the of­fi­cer out­side the Li­cens­ing Of­fice in Ca­roni and paid him $1,500.

George said he al­so pro­vid­ed a pho­to­graph of him­self with a red back­ground. Three days lat­er, George col­lect­ed the per­mit from the of­fi­cer at the Ca­roni round­about.

George in­sist­ed that he thought the per­mit was gen­uine.

On Tues­day, his friend, Ja­maican Omari Lind­say, 22, who has no per­mit, was dri­ving an AD wag­on which ran off the Solomon Ho­choy High­way near the Gas­par­il­lo lay-by.

George, who is mar­ried to a Trinida­di­an woman and a NESC stu­dent, was in the front pas­sen­ger seat.

On the re­quest of WPC Grant, George gave her his per­mit.

The of­fi­cer ob­served an ir­reg­u­lar­i­ty with the pho­to­graph and ar­rest­ed him.

In pass­ing sen­tence, the mag­is­trate lament­ed that there were rogue of­fi­cers in all in­sti­tu­tions.

She said: “It is these rogue of­fi­cers that are com­ing and wear­ing the uni­form and hold­ing the of­fice and it’s not just li­cens­ing of­fice, its all over.” The oth­er Ja­maican was charged by PC Roopan with dri­ving with­out a per­mit and in­sur­ance.

He plead­ed guilty.

Traf­fic Court Mag­is­trate Anslem Le­an­der fined him $2,400 in to­tal and dis­qual­i­fied him from hold­ing a dri­vers per­mit for three years.

Lind­say was giv­en a month to pay the fines.

The courts were in­formed that the Im­mi­gra­tion Di­vi­sion had is­sued de­ten­tion or­ders for both men.

Reporter: Sascha Wilson