No vending on part of Charlotte Street for one year

Date: 
Monday, January 13, 2020 - 17:30

Vend­ing on Char­lotte Street, be­tween Queen and In­de­pen­dence Square, will be sus­pend­ed for one year.

 

This de­ci­sion by the Port of Spain City Cor­po­ra­tion is not sit­ting well with the new ex­ec­u­tive of the Char­lotte Street Ven­dors As­so­ci­a­tion.

Speak­ing to Guardian Me­dia, pres­i­dent of the as­so­ci­a­tion Crys­tal Daniel said that there was no con­sul­ta­tion.

The ven­dors were al­lowed to vend on Char­lotte Street as part of the Char­lotte Street Her­itage project which was launched in 2006.

“I was on­ly aware of this new de­vel­op­ment dur­ing a meet­ing with the City En­gi­neer at City Hall. The Port- of- Spain may­or was ab­sent from this meet­ing”, she said,

 

“The pro­gramme was to re­sume this week with the reg­is­tra­tion of ven­dors but then we were told that they want to re­move ven­dors along Char­lotte Street be­tween Queen Street and In­de­pen­dence Square,” she added.

Daniel said the cor­po­ra­tion told them those ven­dors will now be placed with oth­er ven­dors from Duke to Queen Streets on Char­lotte Street.

Daniel al­so claimed the as­so­ci­a­tion was nev­er no­ti­fied.

She not­ed that with con­sul­ta­tion the cor­po­ra­tion would have known ven­dors be­ing re­moved will be placed at risk go­ing high­er up the street be­cause of the ar­eas they live.

“I want to know what the plan is for the area, they are not telling us how long it will be closed off for, am be­ing told a year and we are not sure what are the ex­act plans”, she said.

She added: “I think there is a plan to re­move us per­ma­nent­ly, things are to be done pro­fes­sion­al­ly but the cor­po­ra­tion is bent not to op­er­ate that way”, the Pres­i­dent ex­plained, “if the cor­po­ra­tion does not re­solve this mat­ter the ven­dors as­so­ci­a­tion will lob­by the Min­is­ter of Lo­cal Gov­ern­ment and the Prime Min­is­ter.”

She said it was un­fair that the ven­dors did not get no­tice and time to pre­pare them­selves with the new de­vel­op­ment.

“ I want to know who will re­place us and things will not go for­ward un­til there is con­sul­ta­tion”, she said.

Port of Spain may­or Joel Mar­tinez said he is aware of the ven­dors re­lo­cat­ing and they were con­sult­ed last year about the plans the City Cor­po­ra­tion had for that area.

“Our plan is to cre­ate a pedes­tri­an shop­ping area on Char­lotte Street in tan­dem with the Chi­na­town ini­ati­tive, this means work will have to go to up­grade the side­walks and road­way.

This is phase one and there will be dis­rup­tion as we con­tin­ue the project up the street,” Mar­tinez said.

Reporter: Otto Carrington

Tags: 
Category: