The Guanapo Landfill is expected to resume regular operations today.
A statement from the Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development indicates that several regional corporations spent the weekend working jointly with SWMCOL teams, as well as the T&T Fire Service and WASA, on smoke and fire suppression initiatives at the site.
The landfill's operations were shut down last Wednesday January 29th, because of a fire on the site.
On Friday, it was reported that 50 to 60 per cent of the smoke suppressant exercise had been executed, resulting in significant smoke reduction in the area.
Water trucks from several Municipal Corporations have been assisting the Trinidad and Tobago Fire Service in the smoke suppression exercise:
- Arima Borough Corporation
- Chaguanas Borough Corporation
- Sangre Grande Regional Corporation
- Port of Spain City Corporation
- San Fernando City Corporation
- Couva/Tabaquite/Talparo Regional Corporation
The ODPM also was involved, and reports that further air quality tests will be carried out to measure and document the success of the efforts. The ODPM warns that pockets of residual smoke can be expected across various communities in the surrounding areas.
Scenes fron the Guanapo Landfill, over the weekend
Meanwhile, the local government ministry advises residents of communities surrounding the Guanapo Landfill to take precautions such as:
- Limiting outdoor exposure where possible
- Keeping doors and windows closed
- Keeping the fresh-air intake of air-conditioning units closed
- Wearing a dust mask
- Increasing fluid intakes
- Keeping your inhaler or allergy medicine close to hand, if you use these regularly
The ministry also advises those with respiratory illnesses or challenges to pay close attention to their symptoms and visit the Accident and Emergency Unit at the nearest hospital should they see a change for the worse. In addition, citizens are urged to keep an eye on children, the elderly and/or sickly persons and other individuals who may be more vulnerable to complications brought on by smoke inhalation.
Story by NEWS DESK
Images courtesy MINISTRY OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT AND RURAL DEVELOPMENT