health

Task Force to probe Tobago health sector

A Task Force is to be es­tab­lished to have a com­pre­hen­sive look and re­view at the health­care de­liv­ery sys­tem in To­ba­go.

The an­nounce­ment was made by THA Chief Sec­re­tary Kelvin Charles.

He was speak­ing at a news con­fer­ence held at the Di­vi­sion of In­fra­struc­ture’s con­fer­ence room.

Over the last week, sev­er­al is­sues have been raised about the health fa­cil­i­ties in To­ba­go, and many were call­ing for the re­moval of the Sec­re­tary for Health, Well­ness and Fam­i­ly De­vel­op­ment Dr Agatha Car­ring­ton, how­ev­er.

Point Fortin Hospital to be completed in 2020

The Point Fortin hospital is set to be completed and opened within the next four months.

The announcement was made by Minister of Health Terrence Deyalsingh during the Urgent Questions session in the Senate, today. 

“My information is it will be opened by March 2020,” Deyalsingh said.

This, as two subcontractors took legal action against a company linked to the main contractor, over funding for work on the Point Fortin Hospital, Austrian firm Vamed. 

HEALTH MINISTRY: There is no flu outbreak

The ministry of health is doubling down on its insistence that there is no flu outbreak in Trinidad and Tobago.

In an official statement, the ministry is reasserting that suspected influenza cases for the last three years have been on the decline.

The ministry said there were 6,500 cases in 2016, but that dropped to just over 2,000 for this year, so far.

One hundred thousand doses of the influenza vaccine will be given to all hospitals and health centres throughout Trinidad and Tobago. The ministry says that process should be completed by Friday.

GOPEESINGH: Deyalsingh guilty of negligence in H1N1 outbreak

Former education minister and Caroni East MP, Dr Tim Gopeesingh, says health minister Terrence Deyalsingh is guilty of negligence and mismanagement of the H1N1 outbreak in this country.

In an official statement, the Caroni East MP accuses the health minister of “engaging cheap politics and abdicating his responsibilities to citizens’ lives with respect to the H1N1 (Swine) flu outbreak”.

FUAD KHAN: “We did not hide any H1N1 data…”

Former health minister, Dr Fuad Khan, is demanding that the current health minister retract his allegation that the People’s Partnership Government hid critical information on the H1N1 virus and related deaths in the country.

The call comes in the wake of statements Terrence Deyalsingh made at a PNM political meeting in Tunapuna, this week.

According to Minister Deyalsingh, former Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar allegedly instructed public officials to hide swine flu mortality statistics, during the period 2013 to 2015.

Flu vaccines coming to T&T

The 2020 influenza vaccine is expected to arrive in T&T today.

Yesterday, Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh refuted reports of the government covering up a 'deadly outbreak' of H1N1 in Trinidad and Tobago. 

A social media page alleged that there were thirty deaths thus far, and approximately one thousand cases reported at hospitals.

In his statement, the minister noted that the H1N1 is nothing new. He also indicated the country's flu season started in October and runs until May.

Pages