Minister of Works and Transport Rohan Sinanan has said his Ministry is working to ensure that last year's devastating flooding at the Housing Development Corporation's Greenvale housing development does not happen again.
Many Greenvale residents, who occupy housing units and apartments south of La Horquetta, are still rebuilding in the wake of last year disaster.
Several residents have abandoned their homes while others are wary the next rainy season could spell danger.
Tobago House of Assembly (THA) Chief Secretary Kelvin Charles said he was tremendously disappointed at the decision by Sandals to withdraw plans for a hotel in Tobago.
In a statement issued on Tuesday afternoon, Charles said: “This is a tremendous blow to our tourism thrust, which is one of the intended drivers of the Tobago economy.”
Central MP and former planning minister in the People's Partnership government Dr Bhoe Tewarie says what has happened to the Sandals project is unfortunate for Tobago and for the tourism sector in T&T.
However, he has put the blame at the feet of the government.
"Dr Rowley and his obstinate, belligerent ministers are directly responsible for this failure. From the very beginning, no one in the Government would explain the project properly. The story changed as they moved from one explanation to another as if no citizen would remember what they said before," he said.
Government “fell flat” on its face on its flagship Sandals project after the administration withheld information from the public and dismissed concerns on it, says Opposition Leader Kamla Persad- Bissessar.
“The position presented during (yesterday’s) press conference that Sandals withdrew based on negative publicity is bordering on absurd. It’s yet another attempt by Government to deflect attention from their incompetence, “Persad-Bissessar added in a statement yesterday.
We're LIVE: Finance Minister on the economy. View here: https://www.facebook.com/CNC3Television/videos/218321629117010/
Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley has been invited to visit Cuba, the Office of the Prime Minister (OPM) said Tuesday.
The OPM said in a statement President of Cuba Miguel Diaz-Canel Bermudez has extended an invitation to the prime minister for an official visit to Cuba at a mutually convenient date.
President Diaz-Canel used the invitation as an opportunity to convey a desire to continue strengthening the historic bonds of friendship and cooperation between the two nations, the OPM said.