Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley has admitted that T&T’s back will be against a wall if Sandals Resorts pulls out of building two hotels in Tobago.
Rowley made the comment at Thursday’s post-Cabinet media briefing at the Diplomatic Centre, St Ann’s, as he gave an update on the Sandals project, saying quite a few detractors have been saying the Government has not been following proper procurement processes with Sandals International since signing a Memorandum of Understanding last year.
Sandals Resorts International is offering US$50,000 to flood relief efforts.
The funds will come via the Sandals Foundation to the Living Waters Community.
Sandals says Living Waters will use the money to provide items such as cooked food, baby food, diapers, toiletries, non-perishable food items, medical and cleaning supplies.
It says that the areas carded to receive assistance include Sangre Grande, Kelly Village, Oropune, Arima, Tunapuna, Caroni, Chaguanas and Couva.
Tourism Minister Randall Mitchell says the establishment of a Sandals Hotel in Tobago will bring the world to the island.
Mitchell made the statement in his contribution to the debate on the 2019 National Budget in the House of Representatives.
Minister Mitchell told legislators the proposed hotel, to be owned by citizens and operated by Sandals, will create benefits for the entire country.