The International Women’s Resource Network (IWRN) is expressing "deep concern" over what it calls the alarming rate at which sexual offences against minors are being committed.
The IWRN notes that sexual penetration has now become a regular occurrence with current statistics for 2018 revealing that more than 20 minors have been subjected to these heinous and painful crimes.
"Even more alarming is the fact that in many instances, these offences are committed by persons known to the victims," the IWRN said ina statement on Friday.
A labourer has been sent to the St. Ann’s Psychiatric Hospital for evaluation, after he appeared in the Port of Spain 7th Magistrate Court, charged with 18 sexual offences against three minors.
Gabriel Superville, 30, appeared before Magistrate Aida Mohammed on, Monday 4th June, 2018, charged with sexually assaulting three children who were ages 12, 13 and 14 at the time, of the alleged offences.
The offences are alleged to have occurred between the period September 1st, 2014 and June 30th, 2016.
The International Women’s Resource Network (IWRN) is expressing concern regarding the recent video on social media showing two (2) teenaged students engaging in sexual inrtercourse.
The video has been circulating on social media networks.
The IWRN says that instead of expressing shock and disgust at the video, adults in particular parents and caregivers should be more concerned about ensuring that their children are properly sensitized and educated about sex.
A Rio Claro gardener who allegedly had sexual intercourse with a 14-year-old girl was denied bail when he appeared in court yesterday morning.
Davion Ragbir, 25, who was barefoot, appeared before Magistrate Gloria Jasmath in the Rio Claro Magistrates Court charged with the offence.
The suspect who had been in custody for almost two weeks was charged by WPC Farrier.
The charge, laid under the Children’s Act, alleged that on September 9 at Eccesville, Rio Claro, he committed an act of sexual penetration on the girl.
Ragbir did not have an attorney.
An investigation has been launched by the Customs and Excise Division to determine whether one of their officers was the one caught on a video allegedly attempting to solicit sex from a Venezuelan national while allegedly at the Piarco International Airport.
The video went viral on social media yesterday.
It shows a man wearing a Customs Officer uniform allegedly offering US$100 in exchange for sex from the Spanish-speaking man.
A report was made to the police and the video handed over.
SEE VIDEO BELOW