The Met Office has officially declared the start of the dry season and has issued warning on how to approach it.
The announcement was made via the following statement today:
"The Trinidad and Tobago Meteorological Service (TTMS) is officially declaring the start of the 2019 Dry Season as the climatic patterns and changes in features are indicative of the region having transitioned to a much drier state. Assessment of the criteria necessary for the onset of the Dry Season shows that the conditions have been met and are now entrenched.
The Met Office has issued a hazardous seas warning for the period 2.08 pm today to 11 am on Wednesday.
The warning says that strong low-level winds are agitating sea conditions to the North and East of Trinidad and around Tobago with waves near 2.5 metres, occasionally reaching 3 metres in open waters, resulting in hazardous conditions nearshore.
It adds that long period swells are also expected to aid in hazardous nearshore conditions during the 2nd January, 2019.
This is the second hazardous seas alert in the last week.
A UN agency says 2018 is on track to be the fourth hottest since records began.
The World Meteorological Organisation says the 20 warmest years on record have all been in the past 22 years - while the top four have been in the past four years.
In the year to October, the global average temperature was almost 1°C above the 'pre-industrial baseline'.
The Ministry of Social Development and Family Services has set up a hotline in an effort to render support to those residents who were affected by last week’s flooding in south Trinidad.
The Met Office has dropped the Riverine Flood Alert from orange to yellow.
The Met Office says water levels continue to decrease over southern Trinidad.
However, there are a few areas still experiencing some flooding.
Additional;u, it notes that rainfall is possible during the afternoon and evening, although the general trend is for river levels to continue to subside.
It says persons should monitor weather conditions and river levels, updates from official sources and plan safety measures, including emergency supplies of food and water.
Penal/Debe residents are begging for assistance from the T&T Regiment now, as hundreds of residents remain trapped in their homes by rising flood waters.
With the high tides expected between 11 am to 6 pm, the Penal/Debe Regional Corporation disaster management team is working feverishly to evacuate residents from areas including Boodoo Trace, Ragbir Trace, Gopie Trace, Tulsa Trace, Clarke Road, Rochard Road, Penal Rock Road, Barrackpore Trace and along the Rochard Douglas Road.